Honey Ricotta and Balsamic Cherry Tarts
Honey Ricotta and Balsamic
- all-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, homemade or store bought (see attached link)
- 2-3 teaspoons honey
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or ½ tablespoon balsamic glaze
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Line a colander with three layers of cheesecloth and set it over a bowl.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, mix together milk, cream and salt. Bring to a simmer and heat until the mixture just begins to curdle, approximately 12-15 minutes, temperature should reach 195 degrees.
Stir frequently to prevent scorching. Add lemon juice and continue to boil, stirring constantly until curds separate, about 2-3 minutes.
Pour mixture into lined colander and drain 1-2 hours. Transfer to an airtight container and store up to one week. For an even creamier texture, whip in food processor.