Japanese Toast Box
Japanese Bread Box
- 1 14 oz. brioche loaf, each half cut into a 4-inch brick (there should be 5 sides)
- ½-1 cup assorted ripe berries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2-4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 2-4 cookie sticks, or more
- optional toppings:
- caramel sauce chocolate sauce, cookies, Nutella, whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the berries with the sugar; set aside to macerate while you prepare the toast box.
- Using a serrated knife and starting from the crustless side of the bread, cut a square out of the center of the loaf (do not cut all the way through), leaving a ½-inch border on all four sides and at the bottom crust. Remove the cube and cut into 1-inch pieces. Leave the box intact.
- Spread the pieces and the toast box out on the prepared baking sheet and brush them on all sides with melted butter. Bake, turning the pieces occasionally so they brown evenly, until the small cubes are crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove the cubes to the bowl with the macerating fruit, and continue baking the toast box until crisp, about 10 minutes more.
- Brush the inside of the toasted bread box with the sweetened condensed milk.
- Gently toss the bread cubes with the prepared fruit. Transfer the mixture into the toast box and drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey. Top the toast with ice cream and and garnish with cookie sticks. Drizzle with the final tablespoon of honey and serve immediately with forks and steak knives. Enjoy!