Black Bean, Corn and Sweet Potato Sliders
Black Bean, Corn, and Sweet Potato Sliders
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained (reserve some of the liquid)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 red onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, (or equal parts chili powder, cumin, and salt)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
- Cilantro Mayo:
- ½ cup mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
burger buns, butter lettuce, purple cabbage, cotija cheese, cucumbers, fresh lime, guacamole, jalapeno, onions, salsa, sour cream and/or tomatoes.
- In a medium-size saucepan, boil sweet potatoes until fork-tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, cover, and chill until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine black beans, eggs, bread crumbs, corn, onions, cilantro, garlic, taco seasoning, and salt + pepper. Mash with a fork (if mixture is too dry, add some of the reserved bean liquid). Add corn and sweet potatoes and gently shape into patties and cover; chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to platter.
- Serve sliders with cilantro mayo on top of a bed of greens, or in a bun. Enjoy!
- Cilantro Mayo:
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
To bake burgers instead of pan-frying, place patties on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and bake at 375°F. for 10 minutes on each side.