Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature and cut up into 6 pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Heat granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-colored liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter. Be careful in this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2 minutes. If you notice the butter separating, remove from heat and vigorously whisk to combine it again.
- Slowly pour in heavy cream while stirring. Since the heavy cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rapidly bubble when added. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to slightly cool down before using. Enjoy!