- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 4 tablespoon finely diced onion
- 4 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 cup cracker meal
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ – 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine ground beef, onion, bell pepper, eggs, milk, cracker meal, mustard, salt and black pepper. Shape into meatballs and roll in flour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown meatballs on all sides until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Discard oil and wipe pan with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and sauté 3-4 minutes until tender. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce, water, white wine, ketchup, sugar, and salt and pepper; cook, covered, on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add parsley; stir to combine. Serve with white rice. Enjoy!