Greek Orzo and Shrimp Stuffed Peppers with Feta and Tomatoes
- 4 bell peppers (green, red or mixed, halved)
- ½ to 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 1 garlic head, roasted
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, de-stemmed
- 3-4 scallions, sliced
- small handful torn fresh herbs, dill, mint and/or parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel and discard the papery outer layers of the whole garlic bulb, leaving intact the skins of the individual cloves of garlic.
Cut 1/4 inch from the top, exposing the individual cloves of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Wrap in foil (like a bundle) and roast 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place peppers in a 9x13 inch baking dish or roasting pan. Toss the peppers with olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to instructions, undercook by 3 minutes. Drain and combine with ¼ cup olive oil, half of the garlic puree, tomatoes, olives, pine nuts, spinach, scallions, half of the fresh herbs, lemon zest and feta.
Combine shrimp with 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining garlic puree,1 teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper flakes and mix well.
Melt butter in large skillet (I prefer my cast iron), add shrimp and cook 3 minutes (leaving slightly undercooked).
Spoon the orzo stuffing inside the peppers, crumble feta on top and add shrimp on top of cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and transfer pan to the oven and cook 6-7 minutes.
Remove from heat and garnish with remaining herbs.