Black Bean, Corn and Sweet Potato Sliders
- 2 14-ounce can black beans, drained (reserve some of the liquid)
- 1 cup corn (I prefer frozen)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mexican spice mix
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
burger buns, butter lettuce, purple cabbage, cotija cheese, cucumbers, fresh lime, guacamole, jalapeno, onions, salsa, sour cream and/or tomatoes.
In medium size sauce pan, boil potatoes until fork tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, cover and chill until ready to use.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except corn and sweet potatoes) and mash with a fork (if mixture is too dry, add some of the reserved bean liquid). Add corn and sweet potatoes and gently shape into patties and cover; chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to platter.
Serve sliders on top of a bed of greens and salad toppings, or fill in lettuce leaves and eat as wraps, or in a bun with all the fixings.