- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 regular size buns or 8 slider size rolls
- toppings: raw chopped onions, potato sticks, pickles and or cheese
Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add beef and brown 2-3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, break meat apart until fully crumbled. Add onion and peppers and cook 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds (making sure it doesn’t burn). Drain grease from meat.
In a small bowl whisk together tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, and black pepper. Pour sauce over beef and stir until evenly coated. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve in buns (pretzel rolls go really well with sloppy joe’s!) and finish off with toppings of choice.