Creamy + Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Brown Butter
- 5 pounds russets, yukon or red potatoes, peeled (if using red, I partially peel)
- 2-3 whole heads of garlic
- 2 cups whole milk or ½ and ½
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper plus more to taste
- 2-3 sprigs fresh sage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut garlic heads about 1/2-inch from the top to expose cloves. Place whole heads of garlic on individual flat pieces of foil paper on small sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt + pepper, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and wrap tightly. Transfer pan with garlic heads to preheated oven and roast until garlic is soft and caramelized, about 40 - 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Cut peeled potatoes in cubes and boil in broth/water in large heavy pot until tender. Drain well and place potatoes back in pot. Add roasted garlic, 8 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, warm infused milk or ½ + ½, cheeses and salt + pepper to taste; whip or mash until creamy and smooth or desired texture.
Add milk or cream with a couple of sprigs of rosemary (if using) to medium size saucepan and simmer.
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. As soon as the foam subsides, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking the butter until it is brown but not smoking, about 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and set aside.
In small skillet, heat remaining olive oil and flash fry a few sprigs of sage 30-40 seconds. Place on paper towel lined plate to drain. Remove leaves from stem and crumble over mashed potatoes or leave on stem.