Honey Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 dashes ground white pepper
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water, ice cold
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, grape seed or canola
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Honey Garlic Sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of water
- *2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 4 teaspoons of water, for sauce thickening (if needed)
Season chicken with salt and white pepper.
Make the Frying Batter. In a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg white, and mix in the rest of the frying batter ingredients. Batter should not be lumpy, nor too runny, but smooth. Dip chicken in the batter and mix well until well coated. Place chicken bowl on top of large ice filled bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Prepare to make the Honey Garlic Sauce mixture. Mix all the sauce ingredients well and set aside.
Heat up a wok with deep-frying oil. Gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking; do not overcrowd pan. Turn the heat down to medium-high, and continue to deep-fry until the color changes to golden brown and completely cooked. Transfer chicken to paper towel lined plate.