Polenta Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Aioli
Polenta Sweet Potato Fries
- Polenta Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled (optional) and cut into ¼ “ fries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons dry polenta, coarse corn meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Garlic Aioli:
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic confit or roasted garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup light neutral oil, avocado, canola, grapeseed or safflower
- Soak the sweet potato strips in cold water for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours (try not to skip this step- it is essential for a crispy fry).
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or lightly spray with cooking oil. Set aside.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a colander, rinse them under cold water and drain. Pat them dry with a clean towel. Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared pan. Add oil, corn meal, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Shake to coat. Distribute evenly, making sure not to overcrowd pan. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Garlic Aioli. In a jar or tall narrow measuring cup, combine the egg, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic confit or garlic paste, and salt. Using an immersion blender (I prefer this over a blender or food processor), quickly blend to combine ingredients. Very slowly, stream in oil, a few drops at a time, until the mixture is completely emulsified. Once you have a mayo like consistency, taste and adjust the seasoning with more lemon juice or salt if desired.
- Remove the pan from oven, turn the sweet potato fries over with a spatula and return back to oven and continue to cook for an additional 10 – 15 minutes, or until fries are fork tender and crispy around the edges.
- Sprinkle with flaky salt and serve immediately with the garlic aioli. Enjoy!
- Air Fryer Method:
- Follow the recipe above, just use air fryer instead of the oven.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in 2 or 3 batches, depending on the size of your basket, without overcrowding the pan. Cook for 12 minutes, turning half way.