Greek Shrimp + Couscous
Greek Shrimp + Couscous
- 1 pound pearl couscous or orzo
- 1 (15 ounces) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced ⅛-inch thick and then quartered
- 1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced basil or mint, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled, plus more for garnish
- naan or pita bread, for serving (optional)
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or pressed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, grated, strained and dried well with paper towel
- 1½ cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or mint (or both)chopped
- ½ -1 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- salt + pepper
Cook grain/pasta according to package directions.
Transfer to a large bowl and combine with chickpeas, cucumbers, tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion, fresh herbs and feta cheese. Set aside.
In a medium bowl or glass jar, combine together the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey/maple syrup, garlic, salt + pepper, and oregano. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, shake well and season with additional salt + pepper if needed.
Pour half of the dressing over the orzo salad. Toss to combine. Taste and add more dressing as desired.
Place the shrimp and remaining ingredients in a medium size bowl. Toss well to combine. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
Heat a large skillet. Once hot, add shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes per side until pink and fully cooked. Set aside.
Place the grated cucumber in a serving bowl. Add the yogurt, olive oil, herbs, lemon juice, garlic, and salt + pepper to the bowl; stir well. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Taste and add additional fresh herbs, lemon juice, and/or salt, if needed.
Assemble bowls by dividing couscous or orzo evenly into each of 4 bowls. Scatter shrimp on top, hit it with a little fresh lemon juice (use ½ of the zested lemon). Garnish with tzatziki sauce and extra fresh herbs. Drizzle with olive oil. Serve with naan or pita bread (optional). Enjoy!