Chicken Torilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and kernels removed from cobs
- 1 (10 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast shredded or cubed
- 1-teaspoon cumin
- 1-teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 8-10 corn tortillas, cut in triangles and fried (or use store bought)
- Corn tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- red onions
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot. Add onions 2 -3 minutes until translucent. Add peppers and garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, chicken stock, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and taste. At this point, you can make any adjustments by adding more broth/water and or additional spices, if desired. Add limejuice and cilantro and stir.
- To fry tortillas, pour vegetable oil to large frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add tortilla chips (in batches). Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain chips in paper towel lined plate and season with salt.
- To serve, add tortillas to bowls and ladle in soup. Garnish with favorite toppings and enjoy!
The Mad Table http://themadtable.com/