Caprice pesto pizza
Caprice Pesto Pizza
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 ounce pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 1-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for surface
- 1-2 tablespoons coarse corn meal, for dusting on stone or pizza pan
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes whole or halved
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarela cheese, sliced or 1-2 balls fresh burrata
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- salt, to taste
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Combine basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste. With the motor running, slowly add olive oil until emulsified; set aside.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
Preheat stone or pizza pan 20-30 minutes.
If using refrigerated pizza dough, remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to come to room temperature while oven preheats.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 12-inch round diameter. Make a thicker crust along edges of pizza.
Carefully remove pizza pan or hot stone from oven, sprinkle cornmeal all over (to prevent sticking) and place dough on top. Brush 2-3 tablespoons of pesto over dough and assemble pizza with cheese and tomatoes; bake for 12-15 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly.
Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with balsamic glaze, sprinkle fresh basil all over and season with salt and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Enjoy!